Our waste should always be disposed properly according to regulations, and recycled when possible.
We are conscious about not polluting the environment where we farm our salmon.
As much waste as possible should be recycled and fed back into the circular economy.
We are working on developing a principle on plastic use.
HOW WE WORK TO IMPROVE
- Fish trimmings and dead fish are disposed separately and processed into fish silage. It may then be used for new purposes, like feed, bio fuel, or fertilizer.
- Fish sludge from smolt facilities may be recycled and used as fertilizer, which we do in Rogaland today. In the other regions, we release the sludge into recipient with sufficient ecological carrying capacity. We are working on ways to use fish sludge for useful purposes in the other regions as well.
- Most of the tanks in our fresh water facilities are Recirculating Aquaculture Systems (RAS), which recycle 90 – 97 % of the water .
- We engage in annual beach clean-ups around farms.
- Old farming equipment is safely removed and we work to get a good recycling system in place.
- We have a partnership with the environmental organization Bellona to find ways to recycle
plastic in the Company. They are engaged in a pilot project in Finnmark, with the aim of implementing the project in all regions:
- Developing new products that can be recycled 100 %, such as sea lice skirts and artificial kelp forests for the cleaner fish
- Removing lead ropes and reducing use of ropes generally
- Recycling waste
- Developing plastic accounting, with an overview of how much plastic we have purchased, and how much of that is recycled. The aim is to purchase less plastic and recycle more.
We have worked to improve waste management over the last years, and are heading in the right direction. Still, though, we have a way to go in some areas. Reducing and recycling plastic, for example, is an area where we have just started working with our pilot in Finnmark. It will be developed in 2019.